Friday, February 3, 2012

Party


This is a page from Kevin's great Aunt Flora's surprise 90th birthday party last February. She's nearly 91 years old now and still lives on her own and if you can't tell from the photos, she was thrilled by the party, where nearly a hundred people showed up to her church to wish her well. She never married or had children, so Kevin's been like her grandson, and she's been like a grandmother to me, as well. She's a very dear person, but saying that she's a "fussbudget" is putting it lightly. And she's super concerned about everyone's feelings and trying not to hurt them. At one visit, I'd purchased her a new nightlight for her bathroom and also brought home lunch. As we were eating, Kevin said, "I'll put that light in for you after we eat." As things happened, he got a bit sidetracked and was doing some other chore for her. She wanted to see how the light was going to look, so I took it out of the package and we gave her a go in the kitchen. When she was pleased with the results, I said, "I'll go put it in the bathroom for you." She stopped me and said, "Well, Kevin wanted to do that." Yes, Kevin could likely not hold in his excitement on getting to go and plug it in there and bask in it's warm glow. I just smiled and said, "OK" and brought it in to him. Then, of course, she worried that she'd hurt MY feelings and came in and said, "I'm so sorry, Stephanie. I know that you wanted to plug the light in, but you DID get to plug it in the kitchen." You just know that nightlights are the hottest toy around--everyone wants to plug 'em in. Anyway, I love her to death and have a million of these stories. Lucky you.

This layout uses all Echo Park "For the Record" stuff, for the most part. I painted the chipboard title and added Stickles, just as I did to the phrase sticker. I added one of my brads from my ginourmous collection, and a little bit of stamping. I saw the basic idea for the cake in the lower left hand side in a magazine--I'd like to give credit, but I've torn up my magazines for idea books and have no idea who did it.

9 comments:

Jingle said...

Very cute page - the photos are adorable!

Mary Jo said...

She sounds like such a sweetie and makes me miss my grandmas!
Love all the fun elements on your layout!!

scrappymo! said...

nice layout...I love the story of the dear older auntie...what a sweetie.

Heidi said...

Great layout. I like all the layering and the cake is adorable! Thank you for helping me to get my link to work. When I get a chance I'm going to try it. If I can't get it to work I might have some questions for you if you don't mind. I'm not very smart when it comes to computers.

Lisa said...

She looked like she enjoyed it. Great layout.

Anonymous said...

fun layout!

Kyla said...

ooh, loving this layout-gorgeous.
Thanks for stopping by my blog on WOYWW

kyla

My name is Cindy said...

Hi Stephanie, just got back on line and wanted to pop over to say 'Thank You' for following my blog. As promised I'll hapily send out a 'RAK' if you are interested but I will need your addy (If you go to my blogger profile you can email me from there). I have just caught up with your last few posts and you had me chuckling away - love this layout and for your great aunt and the brad storage idea. So glad to have found you through WOYWW.

Heidi said...

I tried what you said on 2peas this morning and it worked!! Thank you. Do you know how I get the link in my signature too?